Friday, September 3, 2010

The Long Road



A few days ago I stopped at a library and wrote on my facebook page- "miles to go before I sleep" I was going to go another 30 miles after a 30 or so in the morning in above 90 degree heat in the sun on a blacktop road. I left the library a little after 4pm- the day had been slow stopping for water and directions often- I was heading to Heathcote community one of several under the umbrella organization the School of the Living. I had left Wilmington, Delaware before 8 AM -- I had been chased by some dogs which was really scary but I dont think they were going to bite me- going up and down hills bigger than I had come across before. Then I got to the town before crossing over the dam of the Delaware River. I went from one gas station to the second of this town's gas stations asking for directions- what route was best to reach this community?. Well the woman at the second one- said I could not cross on a bicylce or as a pedestrian walk across the bridge- I was going to have to hitch hike across! What to do? There was a pepsi delivery guy in the store- he said he would drive me across the dam- okay do you have enough room I have a bicycle- he said- do you see the Pepsi truck outside? he asked- okay great - not knowing that was a possibility for a pepsi delivery guy to accept hitch hikers- .. so he did one more delivery to the other gas station and came back and we quickly loaded the bike into the empty soda compartment- I really wanted a picture so I took one- he THEN mentions how highly illegal this is-for him I was hoping- so we quickly jump into the truck and take off over the dam.. we are going to the same town but first he tells me he hopes the scales are closed- the scales that weigh and record how much the truck is- since I and my bike are there his weight would be off- luckily they are closed and so I go all the way to Dublin with him about 5 miles total. And we did not get caught- so I leave the library- refreshed from the airconditioned building and continue onward--
I turn down a road that I think is perhaps the correct one and then come to a downhill- at this point I usually check to see if I am on the right road since I am going east according to the sun and I need to go North or West.. as I stop a lady drives by and looks over-- I think I wish I could have asked her for directions- then I see the car again and I wave her down, but I didn't need to she was coming back to talk to me anyway! so before we even look at the map together she invites me to stay with her in her home-- I hesitate not accostumed to such kindness- so after deliberating we take the bags off the bike and the wheel and put everything in the back of Carrie Grayson's car! She has an extra room since her husband and son were away. We talked about agriculture and sustainable, local food systems as well as biking in the area- she had so much information about the area as well as a love for cheese, wine and olive oil- like me! We had a delicious dinner of pasta and salad and wine. I am so grateful. and the next day she took me within a few miles of Heathcote- where I got another 1 mile ride from Chris - so I had a few days off- that is just one day in the life of a touring cyclist-- a community of its own right.

No comments:

Post a Comment