Saturday, August 14, 2010

Bike tour Begins

The last part of my planned year has begun- a bike tour of farming communities/ or eco-communities from Maine to North Carolina or Georgia or Mexico Or whatever I feel like, Tennessee to Texas was the original plan.

Ladakh was an amazing experience and things got complicated near the end so I ceased to blog- it was costly to be on a slow internet connection all the time and I was busy so there.

I am happy to be back at the blogging thing- but may be difficult to find internet time along the road.
So far I have had two successful biking days and I plan to have a long day tomorrow on the bike but I may also be convinced to stay a while here and bike a half day- my next community is not until Massachusetts. Meanwhile an intentional community conference is happening in Virginia, where I will be in several weeks.. So missing the conference, but know someone who is attending. Hopefully I can catch up with them about what happened. There are a surprising number of communities in Virginia I wonder if the zoning laws/ land prices are lax/ low there - or else the Virginians are especially enlightened people.

DAy one was Fryeburg Maine to Falmouth Maine. Across the whole state of Maine-!! Where my Aunt Barb and Uncle John live. I had a nice shower and dinner out- thanks to them I also had desert- strawberry shortcake.!
The next day (today) my Aunt came with me biking to Brunswick Maine. That was really nice because I would still be out on the road lost probably if she had not come along. Then a few miles outside Brunswick I went on to the Community where I am staying tonight- To Echo Lane I think is the name, based on co-housing idea originating in Denmark.

I have already heard all the nitty gritty details of life in the community and how sometimes the rules can be too much- so I have already learned some valuable lessons about Consensus based decision making versus voting and how creating a process of getting to the option to vote a little faster might be a nicer way of doing things, so I will be keeping this in mind.

well I am very tired and should go to bed now-

No comments:

Post a Comment