Monday, July 5, 2010

More from Ladakh

Came down with a 24 hour flu the day before I had planned to go biking down from the highest motorable pass in the world. REally bummed! I have not been sick since being here, having been hanging out with Deb has been helpful for that, she is experienced with the food after three visits to Ladakh as well as health issues relating to altitude. But there has been a bug going around and I had not been sleeping very well.

The previous few days were very busy preparing food and language workshops for 14 farm participants coming for the "Learning from Ladakh" program through ISEC (International Society for Ecology and Culture). We had some fun times with people from Canada, Germany, Australia, the UK and , playing games. I shared my short dvd I made on my MacBook about Ladakhi farming with some Ladakhi terms. Can't wait to show it to everyone back home. After almost two months of being here and thinking about going home and how it will be to go home every day- I am now feeling comfortable. I can greet many people on the street and I can recommend where to shop an eat to tourists passing through. Few people from the "West" have been here as long as I have.

I am grateful for my family at the Shuma house, we had dinner with them a few nights ago, making mo-mo's a steamed dish very delicious, trying out our Ladakhi and Deb pulled out a wig, which everyone tried on and we howled with laughter. The oldest son came out with a new outfit, sunglasses and a carboard electric guitar and put on a show-- can't wait to post the pictures of that!

Tomorrow, July 6th is the Dalai Lama's birthday so we are excited to participate in the celebrations in some way.

1 comment:

  1. Oh, bummer! I'm so sorry you were taken ill, and hope that you will be able to do that exciting bike ride another day. We miss you!!

    ReplyDelete