Tuesday, March 16, 2010

Leaving San Cristobal

I struggle to find quiet time to reflect on the last four weeks here and tonight I leave San Cristobal of Chiapas for the bustling city of Mexico, a 12 hour overnight bus. Big and busy though it is, I hope to find more quiet time to really reflect on my time here, while there. The last weeks have been intense and the tiny bit I enter into my journal each day is not enough to describe everything. The little I have summarized in the last blog entry I find lacking. On this trip I found so much more than I expected, was affirmed in more ways than I ever imagined and was confronted with ideas and challenges I did not forsee. Life- I love it.

I will miss this place and the people. One physical obstacle which may effect my trip today is the road blocks all over Mexico, there will be protests and all major highways will be blocked.. they are protesting actions of the federal government. Not sure what specifically. I may be staying another day though. ALthough they expect to be clear by the time I leave, people have to eat, etc.

One thing I look forward to when I get back to the States to Grand Rapids, it going to see John Ross speak, he is an author of books about Mexico one I have started to read is about the history of the Zapatista movement.
He is speaking two days after I return- check it out if you are around! You can look on my facebook page to find the invite.
A little boring post I apologize. Here are some exciting things I have done and what I appreciate about what I have found in San Cristobal.

Permaculture activity- actually ran into someone I knew in El Salvador doing permaculture who had come here to teach a course-
Indigenous rights awarness
Land reform-
Alternative trade schools for youth
Non- profit-Documentary making- showing
Anti- capitalist politics- la otra campaƱia
Bicycle campaing, safety, rights of cyclists, etc
Adobe house building workshop
Organic farming- local food production
Womens rights movement via many manners- theater, art, textiles, political actions,
all these things seem to work together, like most people who are interested in womens rights know something about the other topics or at least something.
People are empowered and are creating a culture of empowerment for those who traditionally have been opressed..
More soon!!

3 comments:

  1. Thinking of you and always eagerly awaiting your next post. I'm really excited about what you are sharing and what I feel between the lines. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is so interesting!! I, too, am enjoying what you are sharing. Can't wait to hear more!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I look forward to asking you more about your line "when I was in El Salvador".... ??

    I'm enjoying following your blog, Anna. Thanks for posting!

    ReplyDelete